J O Y C E L A O
R E S U M E
Languages: English, Tagalog, Ilocano, Ibaloi, Russian (read, write, basic conversational), Kyrgyz-Turkic (read, write, conversational), International Sign Language (basic conversational), Can Read Hangeul (Korean Characters).
Dance/Movement: hip hop, theater, jazz, modern, ball room (previously in dance sport for 2 years- waltz, cha cha, swing, samba), Philippine traditional dances (National, tribal and Muslim), yogi (yoga instructor), Zumba instructor, dance instructor and choreographer, dance improv, parkour, stage combat (knives, swords, sticks)
Music: singer (high soprano-classical/opera, cabaret, jazz, pop), songwriter, plays piano, plays guitar, plays percussions, recorder, sight reader, arranger, choral/hand bell/hand chimes director, music director/educator in 7 countries over 10 years.
Sports: Table Tennis, swimming, jump rope, badminton, basic arnis/kali with sticks in dance form and combat (martial art), rollerblading, yoyo, boating, hiking, horse back riding. PADI Scuba Diver Advanced Open Water, Wreck, Nitrox Certified, Molchanov freediver
Others: Knowledge of Psychology, History, expressive Can do distinct Asian and Eastern European accents, knit, crochet, wears eye glasses/contact lenses, costumes.
AEA - Actors' Equity Association
SAG-AFTRA - Screen Actors' Guild - American Federation of Television and Radio Artists
BMI - Broadcast Music Inc
ARTS in Education Roundtable - Member
* AWARDS AND ACCOLADES:
Best Director and Best Acting Ensemble for the supporting role of Polyxena - Runner Up for "Hecuba" at the Ancient Drama Festival, NYC 2012
Best Acting Ensemble - "Alien Adventure - the Adventure" for the Lead role of Capt. Duda at the Midtown International Theater Festival 2014
Best Acting Ensemble - "Eva's Gabriel" Short Film as the Lead, Eva for the New York International Film Awards 2022, Best Short Cannes Short Film Festival
Performance at the New York Fringe International Theater Festival 2015 for "Behind the Wall - An Autism Performance Piece" Created by Joyce Lao and Andy Miyamotto
"......segments such as “Shadow Play,” in which the two move behind a back-lit sheet, are visually arresting. The intimacy and complexity of their relationship takes the foreground and this genuine, heartfelt vulnerability (which occurs a few times throughout Behind the Wall) breaks up the sense of overall lightness and brevity of the rest of the show. These moments feel the most rewarding, adding a sense of warmth."
TRAININGS AND SKILLS:
* MUSIC AND VOCAL ARTS - The Juilliard School, NYC, MA (Choral Conducting, Voice) Philippine Music School
* ARTS ADMINISTRATION - MA, BARUCH College, NYC
* DRAMA/ACTING - Stella Adler Studios, Strasberg, NYC, Scene Studies, Improv, Shakespeare, VO, Teleprompting, Monologues, Audition techniques SAG Conservatory, NYC
* DANCES - Theater dance (Munro)/Jazz/Ballet (Plane)/Hip Hop (Brown) Broadway Dance Center ,NYC
* LATIN AND BALLROOM DANCES - Paul Pellicoro Dancesport/Piel Canela - Competitive and Performance
* PARKOUR - The Movement Creative, NYC
* STAGE COMBAT - HB Studios
* KALI/ESCRIMA - Elementary, Anderson's Martial Arts,
* IMPROVISATION UCB - Upright Citizens Brigade, NYC
* SCUBA DIVING - Advanced PADI, Nitrox and Wreck
* FREEDIVING - Wave 1 Malchonovs Certified
Contact email@example.com for a more detailed resume.